Subsea (Mechanical) Package / Design Engineer
Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Job type: fulltime
Job industry: Engineering
Subsea (Mechanical) Package / Design Engineer
Our Client is a fast growing provider of innovative R&D and engineering solutions in the energy industry. Their business is focused on providing faster, more efficient and more environmentally friendly engineering solutions to the market.
This role will be based in Aberdeen but our Client operate globally, so regular travel will be required within the UK, offshore and abroad.
Our Client is looking to recruit an Engineer to join their team on a full time, permanent basis with an initial focus on the building, maintenance and deployment of their subsea cutting saws.
The role will be based in Aberdeen and will vary significantly week to week, however the core focus for the successful candidate will be the management of the engineering needs of the current saw fleet and of the subcontractors involved in the design and build to DNV/international standards of new builds, including the management of modifications to designs and associated FAT. The role will also focus on the engineering specifications and needs of integrated parts of our offering such as HPUs, reelers, hot stabs, transport skids and new designs as required by ongoing client demands.
The successful candidate will also be expected to be able to support with physical saw build and maintenance as well as occasional offshore operational work and client demos when demand requires although these workscopes will be primarily performed by the engineering technicians (who will provide operational input into designs/builds).
You must be someone who has demonstrated their interface skills with ability to work with sub-contractors and internal and client needs.
- Maintain and update the functional design specification and technical specification for our products
- Manage the project saw build schedules with subcontractors including design output, manufacture targets, DNV certifications, QA/QC and other key elements with respect to the technical, timeframe and commercial considerations
- Check design verification (FEA, hand calculations) in support of key products and provide details of the validation testing and inspection requirements of designs
- Highlight and resolve any design issues following verification calculations and analysis with help of lead engineer and subcontractors as required
- Implement improvements to manufacturing process
- Coordinate R&D / Development projects into production
- Support factory and site acceptance testing and commissioning activities as required
- Research and design additional tool integrations as required, for example camera integration, hot stabs integration and high speed motor capabilities
- Check engineering output produced by other team members and provide support to Lead Engineer and team members as required
- Management of change on designs, documents and drawings in accordance with company procedures
- Conduct and document design and manufacture review meetings and closeout actions
- Input to design processes and contribute towards new or improved processes as necessary
- Direct and mentor less experienced personnel as required during project or product design activities
- Provide support to field operation and site integration tests for the new product/project as required
- Raise purchase orders as required
- Work with the financial controller to forecast and update core and auxiliary product budgets
- Experience working in a mechanical/hydraulic/structural tooling design environment. ROV/subsea tooling experience preferred
- Mechanical (or similar) Engineering degree
- Familiar with the principles of design control and PDM or other data management systems
- Familiar with standards and specifications relevant across the energy industry
- Commercial awareness
- Project controls skills (reporting, planning etc.) and competence in supporting the development of cost and schedule estimates.
- Effective communicator both verbally and written.
- Able to work independently and within integrated local and virtual teams
- Good computer literacy with particular competence in MS office software.
- Flexibility for ad-hoc travel both within UK and abroad.
- Ability to use Solidworks and 2D CAD, to create detailed models & drawings in support of projects and products
- Chartership through a recognised professional institute preferred
- Use of Mathcad and SolidWorks FEA to perform design verification using first principles
- Experience working with ISO 9001 Standards and DNV standards
- Previous experience of working as part of a multi-discipline team on decommissioning or energy related projects
- Knowledge of decommissioning legislation, engineering techniques, solutions and challenges
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.